What Are The Signs?
It’s important to pay attention.
Middle school children are going through lots of changes. One day, they want to cuddle with you, and the next they’re acting like you’re from another planet. It’s important to watch for signs that your child might be experimenting with alcohol or drugs.
- Their grades have dropped.
- An increase in inappropriate anger, irritability or sullenness.
- They’re in a trance-like state.
- You smell an odor of alcohol, gasoline or cleaning fluids.
- You notice an increase in the use of room deodorizers, body deodorant, after shave lotion, perfume, mouthwash or breath mints.
- They’ve developed an “I don’t care” attitude.
- You find paint or stains on their clothing or body.
- They frequently use eye drops.
- You find drug-related paraphernalia like pacifiers, light sticks, lollipops, empty aerosol cans, glue tubes, pipes, rolled-up folding money, razor blades and more.